Thursday, January 17, 2008

Indescribable Catch Up

“You have a lot of catching up to do!” Many a word spoken in jest. These were the words of my Uncle Jimmy, (well second cousin really) a relative I never knew existed until five minutes before we boarded the plane from Sydney to New Zealand on January 3rd. Jimmy and his beautiful family have become more than just relatives we’ve been reunited with; welcoming us into their home they have been our hosts (we’ve kinda gatecrashed their house as only soul touch can) our family, our grandparents, hairdressing advisers (due to a unfortunate accident I had with a bottle of bleach) and our dear friends. Jimmy was referring to the fact that we hadn’t updated our blog since arriving here in NZ and that although it’s a mere fortnight a lot has happened, starting with discovering his, my, our (Soul Touches) wonderful family! Jimmy’s stories about the grandparents I never met, tales and photos of a young Bob Bonnar (my dad) and facts outlining some of our family history have been amazing to listen to. (I’m more determined than ever to discover some of my ancestry having been mistaken for everything and anything except Scottish throughout our trip including: Spanish, Italian, Israeli, Egyptian, Indian, Sri Lankan and the latest Mauri!)

So catch up we must…
Reluctantly we left Oz, experiencing the familiar upset we feel every time we leave a country, worsened greatly by the fact that we were saying goodbye to Caroline (Lorna’s outrageously gorgeous, spirit filled sister), our other soul sis Emily (Young), Hillsong church and the whole host of amazing friends we made there. Filled with anxiety, excitement and the anticipation of what lay ahead in New Zealand we mumbled our way through the airport completely delirious from sleep deprivation. Before you begin to sympathise let me briefly explain why exactly the Soul Touchers became “zombified” over New Year. Hogman-nanny (day) was spent camped out at Sydney Harbour with a picnic under glorious sunshine surrounded by our friends. In the evening we, along with the other thousands of people there, enjoyed watching the indescribable array of fireworks (yes both showings!) blasted over the Opera House and Harbour bridge signifying the New Year. We then sped off to palm beach (will spare you the details of the crazy Mexican Driving aka our new,dear, unintentionally hilariously funny friend David. I don’t remember writing ‘near death experience’ on the itinerary for the new year celebrations but never the less we did it, enjoyed it and survived it so “‘Thank God for Jesus!”) David’s driving did however have it’s benefits; we caught the sunrise on Palm Beach and even some waves before heading up to The Blue Mountains with Lisa and Mel, Samuel and Nina (some of the stunning girlys who blessed our time in Oz) where we marvelled at some of God’s indescribable creation.


Marvelling over beautiful sunsets, roaming mountains, endless ocean and indescribable views is something Lorna and I have become expert in most recently; seriously New Zealand is Scotland… on the rocks! Never one to allow comparisons to be made between our beautiful homeland, Scotland and countries we visit I have succumbed to admitting that the beauty I have witnessed here surpasses any other I have seen in the world- yes Roy even Scotland on the sunny day!

Having said that working with Scripture Union in Mangawhai heads (a campsite situated in the most idyllic coastal area North of Auckland) has probably tainted my judgement. Our mission was Scripture Union summer camp; our destination was Mangawhai Heads; our team had boundless energy, talent and even dressed up as pirates! The result of this combo was The Best Camp Ever!

On arriving in New Zealand Lorna and I were bombarded with leaflets about bungee jumping (which we did in Uganda… that was so last year!), surfing, sand dune surfing and all sorts of insane extreme sports. Written on most of these leaflets , and the words on most backpackers mouths, was “The real Kiwi Experience”. Little do they know that the “extreme” packages they are offering to these 20-30 year old tourists are indeed tame in comparison to the challenges undertaken by the 30, 11-16 year old, children we were leading at camp last week. Kayaking over the estuary, climbing a sand dune (which we did before plummeting face first back down it on a boogie board), surfing a wave, playing volleyball on the beach, undertaking the flying fox and water slide challenge and even managing to clean up for cabin inspection were some of the activities the kiwi kids enjoyed… and all that before lunch! The kids boundless energy and the leaders dedication was a privilege to watch and a blessing to be part of. Each day started and finished with the ultimate high adventure. An experience I didn’t see advertised in any of the backpackers guides. It came free of charge and was, and is, available to all those who turned up. It’ s called encountering God and, as the children and I witnessed, it surpasses any thrill of any extreme sport!

Sharing with these children, trying to answer their questions about faith and witnessing them journeying with God has to be the ultimate high of our Kiwi experience! It was "far out” as they say! Hearing their eagerness to know God more and to serve him better completely saddens and excites me. It excites me to know that they are going to be soul touching, travelling around the world and serving in ways more significant than we can even imagine. It saddens me however to know that there are still so many people still searching; still flicking through Adventure guides trying to find another high. People clinging on to relationships that are “good”, “fine” and never knowing a relationship with God, the “far out” one that is there for them if they just turn up.

The reality of peoples reluctance to turn up hit me when we left camp. On our journey home (which by the way was detoured because of a spontaneous and extremely exciting road trip which I’ll tell you about later) someone said to me, “I don’t really need God in my life ’cause my life is sweet and I don’t want to have to give that up”. That’s great if your satisfied with “sweet”.

The truth is God does not want you to give up your life so you are miserable he wants to give up your life so that he can take you to the next level. Sometimes we have to give up the good to get the “sweet”, then give up the “sweet” to get to the “far out”. Then give up all of those things to get to where God wants us to be. I don’t have vocabulary adequate for that level, it’s truly indescribable. I know this because I’m living it, or trying to and I’m not even half way there.

I can’t remember if I’ve told you guys before but when I was in Peru last year I read a book called, “If you want to walk on water you ‘ve got to get our of the boat”. It’s based on the story of the disciple Peter walking on water with Jesus. Peter was in the boat. He was with his friends (the other disciples) and he was safe. Then Jesus called on him, challenged him really, to walk on the water. Now Peter was someone who knew Jesus well and he’d seen Jesus perform miracles yet he was still reluctant to get out of the boat; walking on water with Jesus required trust. Peter had to be confident that Jesus would make it possible (I assume everyone knows that walking on water, apart form on this occasion is impossible). Eventually Peter got out of the boat and he walked on water with Jesus. Happy ending eh…or not. it wasn’t completely smooth for Peter. He took his eyes of Jesus for a second (his confidence faltered) and he began to sink beneath the waves. In that moment Jesus reached out his hand and rescued Peter.

I want you to imagine your life is your boat. You think it’s safer than walking with Jesus but in actual fact by convincing yourself of that your denying yourself the experience of walking on the waves. I remember for years I sat in my boat (not literally) surrounded by things that made me feel safe, things that were “sweet”. “Sweet” relationships, a “sweet” job, basically things that made me comfortable. I didn’t want to give them up incase I failed, incase I fell flat on my face really. Then I discovered that God “isn’t in the business of making fools of people” (my angel sister reminded me of this as I sat in my boat) and that indeed “all good gifts come from him”.

For me camp was amazing because I got to share with the kids their journey. Some are so bold it’s frightening. They are way out on the waves trusting in God and all he has planned for them. Others were going through moments that they needed Jesus to rescue them but what was amazing was that none of them were in their boats. This summer they stepped out by going to camp; by doing so they stepped up!

Finishing camp is usually a bit of a depressant. You immediately forget about the mozeees (mosquitos) round the camp fire remembering only the toasted marshmallows and testimonies. You miss the shower song at 7am (Thanks Bella), forgetting the 14 (at my last count) spiders singing along with you while you bathed. Most of all you miss the delicious hourly camp food. This time however Lorna and I did not experience the post camp lull. Instead we set off on our road trip (courtesy of Shane and Crystal Gauld who generously gave us their daughter Lizzy’s car…thanks Lizzy!) Our bags and mattresses safely packed up in the boot we set of with transport and accommodation!

I won’t bore you (or rather depress you) with the details of our adventure, sleeping under the stars in Russell, swimming with dolphins in the Bay of Islands or quad biking along the 90 mile beach, lets just say we had and are having an amazing time.

Right now we’re enjoying some more time with the family! Next week we’re off to Taupo to swim in the largest lake in the southern hemisphere. And after that we’re going to work at Parachute www.parachutemusic.com/festival/2008/ No not sky diving, the largest Christian music festival of 2008! We’re loving every second!

I am so glad I got out of the boat! I’d rather live my life walking on the waves, allowing Jesus to recue me when I stumble than sitting in the boat wondering! Would you?

Love you all!
blessings in abundance Erica xx

No comments: