Monday, September 10, 2007

Drama, Drama, Drama!

With only five days until opening night, well day: our first show is a matinee, we have become completely obsessed, possessed, depressed (only joking) by Peace Child! The children are still working hard to make this show a success. This weekend we have spent every waking minute advertising the show and selling tickets- there are still some left so if you happen to be in Uganda next weekend then let me know, seriously! They have sung in churches and shopping malls literally from dusk until dawn, without complaint, and I think everybody is just about exhausted- but we’re keeping going.

You see we are here to teach them the music, the dances and how to act. Although they are learning everyday and the show is improving song by song, act by act, scene by scene we are also learning. Let’s consider how a show is put together- I told you I can’t think of anything else. On stage the children are told how to act. They are told what words to say and what songs to sing. Yet even though they are given a script; and they are given direction from the team, they instinctively put their own flavour and unique personalities into each part. For starters they deliver each line with Ugandan/Glaswegian accents and songs are sung in Lugandan with a special Bo’nessian twang. (It really is a show not to be missed.)


Putting the children under the spotlight made me think of my life as a Christian and how I would feel and how I do feel about having my faith on stage. I suppose this blog is a bit like a stage in that you are watching our journey (our story) being told. Some of you may enjoy it, others will be like the critics on the opening night (hopefully not too harsh) and some of you may even recommend it to a friend. I really pray it’s the latter!


Anyway, thinking of our lives on show. Where are you on the stage? Have you a main part in the church? Do you say more than others for example or are you part of the chorus? This part, as the children have found, is equally as important to the success of the show. If one member of the cast chews chewing gum (let me tell you it has happened during rehearsal…never again!) they stand out and not for the right reasons. In doing so they let the others down. But then again there are members of the chorus who stand out because they are supper doper fandabydosey on the stage and we can’t help but be drawn to their performance. Are you that person? Are you ready for a small speaking part or maybe even a solo? Is God trying to give you a wee bit more limelight but you’re shying away? Or maybe you think you need a bit more practice before opening night (ba-boom-chi- I love all the wee clichés that come with Drama- I was born to be a Diva!)

We have been explaining to the children that there are lots of ways to perform. It is interesting to watch what was once a bit of a rabble, or should a say disorganised group of amateurs, become a professional and very talented cast. Where once we had to scream over the top of the noise (Even Margaret Hunters teaching tips didn’t help in this situation!) now they correct each other. They are accountable to each other and they want each other to do well. Where once they giggled and teased those with parts now they applaud their brothers and sisters efforts. So that’s what’s happening on our stage but what’s happening on yours? What’s going on in your church? Is everyone sharing the load, playing their part? Are you mocking those who are struggling, criticising them or do you take time after rehearsal (as our children do) to encourage them and help them learn their parts? Just a thought.

Then let’s think of the director of the show: God. You see the father is there to direct us. He gives us our script and even gives us boundaries (the commandments) to protect us and make sure it’s a good show, just like the perimeters of the stage. Ultimately though what we do when the lights are on us and the curtains go up is up to us. How well do we learn our lines or in other words do we read and understand our bibles? This is something I’ve really been finding relevant especially as on a daily basis I find the children around me memorise scriptures for fun! Do we get by, by simply ad-libing and busking our way through life or do we study our lines (the word) carefully and try hard to understand it? When we stumble do we discuss it with others, apply it to our own lives? More importantly are you playing your own part or do you look at others and want theirs? You have been given something to do; you have your own important part God wants you to play so start practising it, perfecting it adding your unique flavour to it. For a while I looked at others, whether in church or at work or even among my friends. Their roles all looked so exciting and professionally polished. It wasn't until I realised that they were working hard to have that success that I saw that, that was what I had to do too. So now no matter where God puts me on the stage I know I want to play that part to the best of my ability and I want my part to glorify him.

Sometimes proclaiming to be a Christian is like putting yourself on stage ready to get tomatoes thrown at you. People immediately have expectations of you and others are simply waiting for you to trip up. My advice to you would be to keep going. Keep practising your part cos at the end of the day at least you’re on the stage: they are still in the audience dreaming of being where you are!

Enjoy the show I know with God as the director it is sure to be a success!

No comments: