Saturday, September 1, 2007

Happy Days!!

All dressed up and we all had somewhere to go! Today we took (when I say we I refer to all of the volunteers working at Dwelling Places right now) all of the children to Didi's world. It is a theme park here in Kampala. I was slightly skeptical as I have seen the safety precautions they take on then roads...eh none and so I wasn't really convinced that the rides would be safe but we went never the less.

Thunder and torrential rain woke us early this morning and so us Scots put on our hiking boots, as you do, jumpers and even waterproofs (African rain is scary!) We did feel slightly under dressed however when we arrived only to be greeted by around 70 excited children and young people. They were almost completely unrecognisable but their warm smiles and familiar hugs gave them away. They were top to toe in completely new clothes and even the rain could not, and did not, dampen their spirits! I have never felt so proud and Lorna even commented (and not for the first time) that she felt like a proud mum, or what she presumes one must feel like when they see their child so, so happy and full of the joys of life. God almost knocked me over, quite literally, when I saw them. "Auntie" they screamed as they ran towards us and little "baby Rita" jumped into my arms. I hope you can see the photo of her. She is in a hat and has a huge smile! I couldn't believe it the whole family was there...even the babies, as they call them. They really just mean the little ones but some of them are only days old when they are rescued.

The rain soon cleared up and we enjoyed the rest of the day in the sunshine, playing on rides, jumping queues, wiping the tears of children who were scared (and it wasn't just the babies!) and organising the group as they jumped in and out of the pool. None of them can swim but that didn't bother them. So I guess it has just been another day on this rollercoaster (excuse the pun) we call life. This trip is full of highs and lows. It is painful to hear the children's stories and see where they come from but today was a definite high. Being here and seeing what Dwelling Places is doing for these children fills me with hope.

Needless to say we were all exhausted by the end of the day and the new clothes were filthy; ice cream, the dust of Kampala and sticky fingers saw to that. Watching them lick their sticky fingers reminded me that they are children. They love what other children love and they deserve childhoods, which is what DP is striving to give them.

Lots of love and then some Erica xxx

No comments: