Saturday, February 6, 2010

A bit down in a land down under...

So today was really the first day I’ve had some doubts about what we are doing. I’ve been boastfully saying how New Zealand was soooo easy for us and how we were carried the whole time, and then we hit Australia and all of a sudden random kind families don’t want to take us in and show us around the country! I know it’s hard to imagine, but I get the impression that just maybe, some people have some other stuff going on in their lives that’s not soultouch! (Shock horror I know!) However, as Laura has said we have after a wee hunt managed to come across a brilliant wee flat really close to the church which suits us great. But after a couple of nights restless sleep and a few stressful days (where we spent the whole time trying to see the positives and trust something would come out of it all) waking up to pouring rain at 6.50am just seemed to push me over the edge and a little tear ran down my cheek. It was one of those tears that you don’t even give permission to roll, but it does anyway (I hate those sneaky ones). I wiped it away as doubts flashed through my mind about if we were even helping anyone at all or if this trip is a waste of time. But I didn’t have much time to really think as we were off to our first street team meeting at Hillsong church.

As we sat with all the street team volunteers I began to perk up a bit, giggling with Laura about nothing really at all (like I said we’d just had a few nights restless sleep). The leader of the street teams then shared a quote with us (I didn’t get who said it) about how we can’t and aren’t expected to “save the world” or take on everyone’s problems ourselves, but rather, we each have to responsibility to simply do what we can and no matter how small a thing we may think that is, so long as we do what we can, that’s enough.

I looked around me at all the smiling faces agreeing with this quote from people who had also gotten up far too early for a Saturday, and it hit me that just like High School Musical said; we really are “all in this together” and that’s perfect. And so as the day slowly unfolded into a good day with lot’s of encouragement from those at home, I began to realise that 1 wee tear every now and then isn’t a bad thing afterall. It simply shows we care enough. But the important thing is that we wipe the tear away, put on our rain coats and go out and face the storm. And if we all do this in whatever little way we can, then that’s enough. It’s just like in a football game, during a free kick from the opposition all the defenders are worried about getting hit by the ball where it might hurt, but they put on a brave face and huddle close together so as to protect their joint goal. And the more the scared, huddled defenders the less chance the “baddies” in the other team will get anything past them.

So as Laura and I huddle in close to this team of incredible people at Hillsong who are desperate to serve others, we giggle with nerves and excitement at what might be coming flying at us next!

6 comments:

Mr B said...

Beautifully written from a beautiful heart

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dont Bother With Crawling Downloads Using NZB Files You Can Easily Find Movies, PC Games, MP3 Singles, Applications & Download Them @ Flying Rates

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]NZB Search[/B][/URL]

Samuel said...

When it rains.... Jump in puddles =D. Have fun... Look forward to hearing from you girls =D

xxoo

Your biggest fan! said...

Jen you are amazing. I don't doubt for one second that God has purposefully positioned you right where he needs you to be to go through the good and the bad! A very wise girly of God once hand made me a little glitzy card- so very her to think of it and so very me to smile cos it was made with oodles of love...anyway- it had a beautiful verse written on the front Rom 8: 14- 18
"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us!"

God has started such an awesome work in you and he will absolutely bring to completion...tears, tantrums or none! You are so loved by him and you are so honouring him leaving your home and going on this trip and he will honour you. You will never, ever, ever be put to shame!

Trust in him all the more through the storms toots and never ever doubt what God has told you in the light when you feel your surrounded by darkness! I so remember those feelings of, "ahhhhhh Lorna what are we doing? Did we get this right? Did I imagine that call on my heart to serve and to be the hands and feet of Jesus...ouch I'm lonely, scared confused blalabla bla!" My rant was something like that I'm sure Mrs H could tell you better than I can.

But looking back, would I have changed it? Even the suffering?...would I wiech! (is that even a word? We use it in Bo'ness!) No I wouldn't because of what God revealed to me in the times I was actually relying on him and not on my own strength!

You are so wise! You're right, you do not have the responsibility of saving the whole world...thank goodness or the world would be gingerliscious! But you most definitely have a purposed part to play!

We all thank God for you so much and thank you for teaching us through your storm. You're such a Peter(ess) right now. I love that you're humble enough to admit that walking on the water isn't always easy...infact it's freaking freaky sometimes! But that it's during these storms that intimacy with Jesus comes- that's when you grab hold of his hand and rely on him to rescue you. When Peter started to doubt the call of Jesus to walk with him he didn't drown ('n' I'm sure his tears were not so silent- he was on a wave for goodness sake!), no he was rescued! And the revelation and testimony of his faith has shaped and sharpened generations after him-just like you are shaping our generation and preparing the way for those still to come! You wee leader of the saints you!!!

I do pray that the rest of your time in Aus is slightly less traumatic, although if you're gonna keep coming out with things as profound as this then maybe...no just kidding. We pray that God will continue to make his face shine upon you and that you will share in his glory as you are destined and called to do!

Bless you sis! Love, hugs, tears and joy with you! Erica xxx

Anonymous said...

Laura,
just to say how much I'm enjoying reading about your journey with Jenn.
Love,
Frances xx

Anonymous said...

you guys are amazing, you will touch many more lives along your journey. thank you for your words