Thursday, May 27, 2010

Every teeny finger counts!

So we are busy busy busy in Uganda and absolutely loving it! I have been blessed enough to be trusted with the creating of an advocacy show of drama, dance and singing that is happening on 3rd June. The overall theme for the advocacy week run by a children’s Christian charity in Uganda called CRANE, is “made in God’s image”. So from this our day has a sub-theme that because of this every single one of us is beautiful, despite our exterior or possible situations or circumstances. We are specifically trying to encourage people within the surrounding communities that this is even more true for children and that it is our responsibility as their elders to change their circumstances to allow this beauty to shine through. Typical to me there is a butterfly theme to the day aswell, as not only do I happen to love butterflies, but the reason behind my love fits perfectly with the day: at first sight we see butterflies as horrible creepy crawlies, but with some time, care and the right nurturing environment a new beautiful creation is revealed. I think this can be applied to every single person’s life at some point. It is also an old Christian symbol with the cocoon representing the tomb and the butterfly symbolising new life from the resurrection. SO ANYWAY...we have a hall booked, we are expecting around 200 – 300 people and in between practices with the gorgeous children I am making a small cake for everyone coming and involved (which by the way is much harder than you might think in a Ugandan oven, although this does mean we keep having to test them!), and cutting out hundreds of butterflies to hang in the hall and give away with each guest. It is so much fun right now, and I am absolutely loving having something to get my teeth stuck into. And the kids...oh my word they are so so cute and all try so hard (which for some can be a struggle to ignore that pickable thing in their noses for a whole hour of practicing!). It’s so great to work with them, because no matter how much I can’t be bothered, or how long a day i have already had, as soon as I see them my spirit is totally lifted!

So things are coming together and on tuesday I spent the afternoon with two of the youth from Dwelling Places, Samuel and Isa, who helped me stick posters for the day on every post in a 5 mile radius (or at least a long walk away!). Samuel was involved with the Peace Child show that Erica and Lorna had been involved with organising when they were here. I have heard so much about this show and the more I hear the more fantastic it sounds. I would like to say my full initial reaction to Samuel’s praise of Peace Child was feeling proud of my incredible serving friends and the hard work they did to bring this show about, but I have to admit that fear was creeping into my voice. I was wrongly verging on comparing my very separate and different project with Peace Child, which had a completely different purpose and it would seem budget. But as my fears began to creep through my positive words Samuel calmly said something so simple but beautiful all at once to me. He held his hand out in front of us and pointed to his pinky finger. “Jenn, no single finger on a hand no matter how big or small is any less important and loved than any of the rest. You have some bigger, more obvious fingers , but I can promise you that if you were to lose the littlest of all you would still ache for it. All you have to do is forget about how big you may be in something, and make sure to be making an unforgettable impact on those around you by simply loving them. And that is when you would be truly noticed to be missing.” I was so blown away, a 19 year old just gave me a life lesson on one hand! And how true he is aswell. I would so prefer to be a teeny baby finger that has a small positive impact than a huge big one that is just there to be there. Even as I type I am smiling at my beautiful, non-remarkable, tiny little pinky fingers, and I thank God I have them in my life.

jenn
xxxx

3 comments:

Lorna Herrera said...

Jenn!! your advocacy show will be great!!! I will be thinking and praying for you on the 3rd June!! Be sure that It will be as powerful as a full on evangelical conference - you know why? Because God is on it!!! Love you girl! Always in my thoughts <3

albertbogle@mac.com said...

Well done jenn great to read your post.

Albert

italker said...

Great post. Your in our prayers

Albert