Thursday, June 17, 2010

Communion with a difference...

Firstly I’d like to apologise for my lack of blogging, I didn’t realise how much time had passed! And a HUGE thanks to Jenn for keeping you all updated!!! Also a big shout out to all the young people at Wallace High, the Soul Touch group there are doing an amazing job, and I know that the kids at Dwelling Places absolutely loved skyping with you last week! You’re doing a fantastic job with fundraising, and I’m so excited to hear how it all goes!

I’ve been having lots of fun with the young people along at Henrieta’s, we’ve been sharing discipleship sessions daily, and one of the young people led the session through the week. It’s really amazing to watch these young people grow in faith, and see them striving to reach their potential is such an encouragement to me!

I’ve also been joining in with the craft session after the discipleship which has likely been the highlight of my time here. One of the youths, Stella, taught me to make beads from a magazine, from which I made a necklace and now Mama Paula is very patiently teaching me to weave a basket!

At lunchtime I eat lunch with the youngsters so I can continue working as long as possible, and they never tire of photographing me eating local meals with them, usually something like posho(corn flour and water) and beans...



I’ve been spending Saturdays at a friendship club for the Dwelling Places kids and other children in the community, this is a time of fellowship for the kids with songs, games, teaching and biscuits and juice. It’s like Sunday School, but on a Saturday! The kids have the most adorable song they sing to the visitors and they are so pleased to have us around, there’s usually a wee queue to sit on our knees during our time together! It’s tiresome learning and having so much fun so we usually end up with a few of the younger kids sleeping in our arms. Us Mzungu’s quite enjoy the cuddle but the teens from Dwelling Places are quick to remove them onto a mat at the side of the hall.

One of the pastoral team for the young people invited us to attend his church on Sunday morning, and we were happy to accept the invitation. All 4 of us in the cottage got organised with packed lunches in the morning as we had to hire a taxi to take us the 35-40minute drive there, and figured since we were near the beach we would be as well to visit. Things didn’t work out that way though as the sky clouded over and thethunder began during the service.

The service was fantastic, lots of young people and a real friendly atmosphere. We were invited forward to greet the congregation. Lynn shared a short word and I shared a testimony with everyone before we sat back down to experience a dedication service. There were 4 babies being dedicated that morning, and some members of the congregation had bought cakes, snickers bars and soda’s for everyone... and we didn’t even have to wait till after the service to enjoy them! Hope you’re making notes Albert ;)


We’ve been doing our best to combat the cabin fever! Usually we are in bed by about 9.30, we did however host a Friday night disco a few weeks back. I arrived home from work to find the cottage decorated with balloons and posters, Jenn had a busy afternoon! A couple of the girls had dressed up a little and put a bit of face paint on... as usual when dressing up is involved I took it to another level. I appeared from the room looking like this...

The other girl is Laura, Ugandan’s like to call us ‘double rola’! And the rest of the cottage joined in the madness. We even managed to talk a couple of the Dwelling Places staff into joining us. The night was great and we even had a bottle of organge soda! Don’t be worrying though, we were all in bed, lights out by 10.30pm that evening!

I’ve taken quite a shine to a baby boy called Sirus while I’ve been here, he’s a great baby and I just love having him around so much. His mum is involved with the running of the cottage so we’ve been seeing lots of him. Unfortunately this week he’s been a bit unwell. They had to take him to the hospital a few nights ago but I’ve heard he’s getting a little better. Please remember him in your prayers!

There’s also one of the children from the home that has run away. This happens regularly when children are taken off the streets and attempts are made to settle them in a home. The simple things like using a toilet, sleeping in a bed are so difficult for them as they’ve never had to do it before. This girl has run away in the past and just seems to feel at home when she’s on the streets. She’s only been back at Dwelling Places for a few weeks after having been settled with her family. We would really appreciate if you could keep her safety in your prayers. We’re really hoping she’s back by Sunday so she can join in the party for Jenn’s birthday!
Sorry again for my lack of blogging!

Love and blessings from Uganda!

Laura xXx

No comments: