Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Dancing in the moonlight

Hi folks, just back from the most amazing week on Ponui Island on the east coast of Auckland. We arrived on Tuesday for a Scripture Union camp with the other leaders for a bit of training, some of them are only 20 but have had the most amazing lives! I actually can’t wait to hear what they get up to in the future. We all got on so well, all week! I can’t even begin to express how I feel about these guys. They’re out of this world.

The following day we picked up the campers, I was a group leader for 6 teenage girls from Auckland, Wellington, Korea and Germany. These girls were truly inspiring! I’m so privileged to have been a part of their lives for the last week.

The girls in my tent teamed up with a tent of boys (who were equally as amazing as my girls) for different activities... which would earn us points, we were all competing for the Ponui Senior Cup.
Those of you who know me well will know there’s not a competitive bone in my body – HA! So I was a little concerned to hear my Buddy Partner, Samuel, had come last for the last 3 years!!!! I didn’t think I would cope with the shame ;)

Some of the activities were a bit daunting... synchronised swimming, obstacle courses, football, and volleyball... are you kidding God??!! But I got stuck in about it, and although I didn’t score any goals... or whatever you’re meant to do during a game of volleyball, I had a great time, and Samuel turned out to be the ultimate encourager, how difficult I would have found it if someone was getting annoyed with me. We didn’t always come last, so managed to bag some points here and there.
And we eventually cleaned up the tent (there was 10 points on offer every day during a tent inspection).

In the end we did come last, but I was still sooooooo happy to have spent the week with these amazing young people, and I wouldn’t have switched groups for anything.


Throughout the week we took part in two overnighters (we pack an evening bag and head to another part of the island for the night), the first one was with the whole group, around 15 staff and around 60 young people, and the second with our buddy groups (2 leaders and 13 youngsters). These nights were amazing, we heard some inspiring stories and testimonies from the young people and enjoyed fellowship round a camp fire. Oh and slept under Southern Sky! Weird!




I’m really grateful for the last week. For the friends I’ve made. The testimonies I’ve heard. The teams I’ve watched bond together, and the beautiful scenery (and sunshine) New Zealand has to offer!




Thanks so much for all your comments and prayers. Keep them coming cause they’re clearly working!

Loads of love!

Laura xXx

P.S. I didn't see much of Jenn at camp (kinda missed her!) But her blog will follow sometime today...

7 comments:

Samuel said...

It was so awesome having you both on camp. You girls are ORSOME!!! Love you 2 so much... Keep fighting the good fight...

xxoo

Ps. Sorry you had to endure last place with me laura :( When you come back we will do better ;)

Unknown said...

Hey girls!

I'm so looking forward to following your adventures around the globe! You are both amazing inspirations to everyone that was at Ponui over the last week!

Have fun and I'll be praying for you!
Love Alex
=]

Lorna said...

Laura!! your blogs are great - really good!! loving the photos and the stories! keep them coming - you guys are doing amazingly! Jenn - keep up love lol! xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey troops, sounds like a great week - and well done on surviving camp. Praying for you both. Blessings, Gav

Laura and Jenn 2010 said...

Thanks for all your comments! Sam, I loved coming last with you guys!!!!!

Alex, thanks so much for your encouragement and prayers.

Lorna - Jenn's on it! I can't believe I'm blogging at all haha this isn't me ;)

And Gav, I'm praying for you too!

Love you all so much, I'm a seriously blessed girl to know you all!

Laura xXx

Erica said...

I knew you'd score points with the inspection you wee supertropper you! Well done to you both for surviving camp on a luxurious, stunning island in NZ with an amazing team of young people- that must've been hard work!

I hope Samuel was awarded a cup for coaching miss Taylor to play volleyball- you legend!

Miss you both heaps but glad you're not here...cos you're exactly where God intends you to be: in his will and that's perfect!

Hugs and cuddles till you wriggle out those wee anoraks!

Woop Woop to Soul Touch- you've just gone to a whole nuther level!

Ericax xxxx

AnimalLover said...

Hey Laura,

I sat and wrote you out a blog on my mobile in work the other day hehe.. and then it wouldn't submit:(

But yeah .. you in a sports competition? with your sports skills, and your competitive streak = hahahaha !!
All I have to say about that :P

Hope your having a ball looks like you are! I'll be keeping up to date with your blogs etc

My mum's asking for you. She is going to do the 5k for breast cancer hehe..
I wanna do it so i can just keep up with her and have a wee giggle at her:P

Love you Laura :-) Your 5th fave wee cuzin xxxx