Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sunshine in Sucre


Some of you may have guessed by my (mono)tone on the previous ¨Bolivia¨ post, yesterday wasn`t the best day for us...well me really. Despite the cold Miss Main remained her beautiful hilarious self. I, on the other hand, was a total grump. Let me explain:
For those of you who know us, I´m sure most of you do by now, you´ll know we hate the cold. Well, maybe not hate that´s a bit strong but severely dislike. So when we arrived in Bolivia and found ourselves choking on the chill in the air I was slightly concerned about the prospect of us being here for the next ten weeks. One of our priorities and reasons for being in Sucre is to concentrate on our Spanish so we woke early to walk to school for an 8 o´clock start...with a teacher who speaks NO (I repeat) NO English.

The class was interesting although we were both slightly frustrated by how slow we are to speak fluent Spanish. 24 hours is 23 hours too slow. So after class we decided to go to an Internet cafe. Reading your comments and emails always brightens up a dull (baltic) day. Having recently learned how to update the photos (which I know you´re all enjoying) I placed my memory stick in the computer, enabling me to upload some images of us in our ponchos. The memory stick has all our photos on it from the last nine months as well as every article I´ve ever written on this trip (don´t stress too much I have a back up. Anyway, about half an hour later I realised my stupidity and went back to the cafe. Of course the memory stick was gone, along with all of my photographs. We kept praying but despite the situation we had an incredible sense of peace about the whole thing. For some reason we were convinced I would get it back.

Now the reason for my cheerfulness today: Well firstly the sun is shining. So much so that we have actually detached the hoods from our Inuit suits. Then today after class (we learned a song and singing always makes me smile) we went back to the Internet cafe. The lady in the cafe handed me my memory stick. Unfortunately despite another 24 hours I am still not fluent in Spanish so I don´t know the complete story but all I know is that God is incredible despite me being so not!

Thank you a million times to everyone who has emailed us (ever). Your comments make us smile and feel warm even when we´re cold on the inside and out.

Love in abundance
Erica (in Sunny Bolivia) xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! =) how are you? Well, I can't believe I've read almost every post in just five minutes! Much more interesting than a novel. I'm really glad to see how well you're doing on your trip. I know God is blessing you with such happiness for everything you're doing in His name. You'll find out that you are about to enter the most asolated regions of South-America. Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, I mean, those are perhaphs the places where people have the most needs. Both physical and spiritual. I think you're used to that things if you've been to Africa, but it seems that no one gets really used to that things (and that's OK, for we're sensitive people).

Wow! I know many of those guys in Brazil!! I've met Pedro, and, even if I didn't talk to him, I know he was the one to put us in contact with the Brazilian Church. You know, I feel really touched -I mean, "soultouched"- as I read your blog.

Well, thanks for everything, and keep writing =)!! I feel we're really in contact, even if we're miles away. I'll keep you in my prayers, and write soon =D!!

Loves from Argentina.

--Ignacio--